Marriage License in New York City

Marriage License is what you need in order to get married. You will bring this marriage license to your wedding Officiant. The Certificate of Marriage is what you get back from the state confirming the Marriage is on record.

In order to get married in the state of New York, you must visit any one of the county clerks offices in New York state. They are open Monday through Friday.

The couple to be married must make an appointment to get their marriage license. Click on this link to schedule your appointment: Once you made your appointment, you can start filling out all of your details in the clerks office’s website. Everything is done online here:

Manhattan Office – 141 Worth Street
Marriage Bureau Hours: 8:30 am to 3:45 pm, Monday through Friday
By appointments only:

This meeting only lasts about 10 minutes, and its purpose is to verify that all the information that you provided is correct. The clerk will issue your marriage license on the spot, and they will give you a return envelope. The marriage license expires in 60 days. You have 2 months to get married.

When I perform your ceremony, I will review the License, then fill out my information and my license number (Wedding Officiants in NYC must have their own License Number), the date, time and location of your ceremony and finally view the government issued photo ID of your witness. By law, only one witness is required, but there is room for 2 witnesses. It makes them feel special, so you can ask 2 people to be witnesses, if you want to. There is technically no age limit or residence requirements; so anyone can be a witness as long as they have ID. You and your witnesses will sign the license (practice if you are changing your name!) and then the officiant will mail the License back to the clerk’s office.

It can take anywhere from 1-6 weeks to get your Certificate of Marriage mailed to you. If you wish to speed up this process, you can go back to the clerk’s office and bring the signed license in person (it doesn’t have to be both of you this time), and they will issue you your Certificate of Marriage instantly without any additional fees.

Other details about the Marriage License can be found here:

If you have a previous marriage or are a widow, please bring divorce papers or death certificate.

Non US Citizens getting Married in New York

If you live in another country, but are coming to New York to get married, you may need additional documents for your country to recognize your marriage. Request this information from your countries local authority to determine if the standard Certificate of Marriage is fine or if you are required to add the three steps below.

1. Obtain An “Extended” Certificate of Marriage

After your wedding ceremony is over (the next few days after), take the completed Marriage License that was filled out by your Officiant, back to the same Clerks Office where you picked up your Marriage License originally. The Extended Certificate of Marriage that you are requesting, has same information as a regular Certificate of Marriage that US Citizens get,  but will also include the names of both parents and their country of birth, the names of both witnesses, and the number of previous marriages. There is a $35 fee for this.
(To obtain a Marriage Record by mail, please call the main office at 212-669-8090 to request a form or download the Marriage Record mail request form. All requests must be accompanied with a copy of valid identification as stated on the form.)

Manhattan Office – 141 Worth Street
Marriage Bureau Hours: 8:30 am to 3:45 pm, Monday through Friday
Lobbying Bureau Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday Through Friday
(Walk-in hours until 3:45pm)

Some Non US citizens may need this. If your country requires it, you will also need to take additional steps noted below.

2. Get Signature of Marriage Bureau Certified

Take the Extended Certificate of Marriage to the nearest County Clerk’s Office (60 Center Street) to authenticate the City Clerk’s hand signature that’s on the back, for a fee of $3.

3. Apostille

Take the document to the New York State Department of State (123 William Street – 19th Floor) for the authentication of the County Clerk’s signature and the attachment of an “Apostille”, for a fee of $10.

If you forgot to take care of this step while you were in the US, you can hire a company that will provide this service for you. We do not recommend any company in particular. Your best bet is to google it and hire the one that feels best for you. Please be aware that it can take up to eight weeks to obtain your documents in the mail.

Australian Citizens Getting Married in New York, USA

Pretty simple as the steps are the same for US citizens.

You can read more here:

U.K. Citizens Getting Married in New York, USA

Pretty simple as the steps are the same for US citizens.

You can read more here:

Searching for the right words to say at the altar?

Our wedding expert in chief Veronica Moya has prepared these
inspiring books of vows to help our brides & grooms create their perfect vows.
This book makes a wonderful gift for the bride or groom-to-be in your life!